Need a sick note for COVID-19? Here’s what you need to do

People unable to work for more than seven days because of COVID-19 can obtain an isolation note through a new online service.

Isolation notes will provide employees with evidence for their employers that they have been advised to self-isolate due to COVID-19, either because they have symptoms or they live with someone who has symptoms, and so cannot work.

As isolation notes can be obtained without contacting a doctor, this will reduce the pressure on GP surgeries and prevent people needing to leave their homes.

For the first seven days off work, employees can self-certify so they don’t need any evidence for their employer. After that, employers may ask for evidence of sickness absence. Where this is related to having symptoms of COVID-19 or living with someone who has symptoms, the isolation note can be used to provide evidence of the advice to self-isolate.

People who need to claim Universal Credit or Employment and Support Allowance because of COVID-19 will not be required to produce a fit note or an isolation note.

The notes can be accessed online at https://111.nhs.uk/isolation-note. After answering a few questions, an isolation note will be emailed to the user. If they don’t have an email address, they can have the note sent to a trusted family member or friend, or directly to their employer. The service can also be used to generate an isolation note on behalf of someone else.

Fylde Coast GP and lead clinician for NHS Blackpool and NHS Fylde and Wyre Clinical Commissioning Groups Dr Adam Janjua, said: “It is absolutely vital we do everything we can to ease the burden on local healthcare professionals, allowing them to spend as much time as possible with those patients that need them most.

“Digital isolation notes will provide reassurance to those self-isolating and their employers while also reducing the pressure on our NHS, so they can continue doing all they can to protect the people of this country and save lives.”

The isolation note service can be accessed via the 111 online COVID-19 service or NHS.UK/coronavirus as well as via the NHS app.

5 2 votes
Article Rating
52 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Emma Jarvis
Emma Jarvis
21 March 2020 10:00 am

I have been advised to self isolate for 12 weeks as I fall into a very high risk group. I have a kidney transplant and take immuno suppressant medication. I also work as a teaching assistant through an agency. Obviously with schools closed the work isn’t there anyway and even if they weren’t I wouldn’t be able to work. I am confused as to what I can claim. I have contacted the company who my wages are paid through and they say I need a sick note. But im not actually sick. Please help. I work for Monarch Education and… Read more »

Emma Jarvis
Emma Jarvis
23 March 2020 2:07 pm

Yes I have but as I mentioned I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be claiming. Because when I opened the link for a sick note all it does is give you tick boxes about symptoms. I don’t have symptoms. I cant work 1,because there is no work as schools have closed an 2,because as a transplant patient I’ve been advised to totally self isolate for at least 12 weeks. I am following this advice but do I claim ESA or SSP? And if its the later how do I get a sick note when im not sick?

communications manager
Admin
26 March 2020 12:28 pm
Reply to  Emma Jarvis

Emma
Emma
31 March 2020 11:36 am

Hi I got a text saying that I am high risk and need to stay home for 12 weeks. I didn’t get a letter so I don’t have anything to show my employers. I went on the site above but it doesnt mention how to get a ‘sick note’

Josue
Josue
31 March 2020 7:46 pm
Reply to  Emma Jarvis

I have a similar situation. My son suffers with recurrent phemonia and immune problems, he’s also on a 6 week course of antibiotics so I have been told to shield him for 12 weeks. I’ve obviously got to shield with him as I work in retail and its not worth the risk of me bringing the virus home. My employer says I can have the time off but un paid! I’ve researched everywhere, local docs aren’t doing notes for this, I’m basically stuffed

Behnam sepehr
Behnam sepehr
22 March 2020 1:39 pm

I am 71 years old and i am still working because i can not just live on my pension so i need self isolation sick note but i can not get it through nhs111 so what can i do

communications manager
Admin
23 March 2020 11:09 am
Reply to  Behnam sepehr

Have you completed the form on the NHS111 website: https://111.nhs.uk/isolation-note

Andrea Koeninger Adu
Andrea Koeninger Adu
23 March 2020 10:58 am

Good morning I have this symptoms 38c and a cough and I have to self isolate and I need a sick note

communications manager
Admin
23 March 2020 11:08 am

Please visit https://111.nhs.uk/isolation-note and an isolation note should be generated for you

Josie
Josie
31 March 2020 7:49 pm

This is only for up to 14 days though not 12 weeks

Francisca Ige
Francisca Ige
25 March 2020 9:31 pm

Hi, am diabetic with asthma, which of course I need to isolate for 12 weeks. But there is no where on the isolation note to state reason why i need to isolate, it just says if I have symptoms or living with someone with Corona virus. My 8years and 4 years old are also asmathic. Please help as my employer need my 12 weeks isolation note. Thanks

communications manager
Admin
26 March 2020 12:26 pm
Reply to  Francisca Ige

Emma
Emma
28 March 2020 4:14 pm

This link still does not answer what I was looking for. If you have had a letter from the government telling you to shield for 12 weeks do you need a sick certificate?

Manja MarieLuise Tunney
Manja MarieLuise Tunney
28 March 2020 9:30 am
Reply to  Francisca Ige

It’s not an isolation note you need but a ’12 week shielding note’. 1.5 m arebeong send out by nhs
If you think you fit the category and gave not received a note by tomorrow you have to contact your gp.
Also info on Asthma.org ref. Shielding

Bhavisha
Bhavisha
26 March 2020 8:24 am

Hi my dad has diabetes but he doesn’t have symptoms and his employer won’t allow him paid or unpaid leave for the 12-week isolation period. My doctor says that they can’t provide sick notes and to contact 111 but their isolation note is only given if you have symptoms or live with someone with symptoms. What else can my dad do?

communications manager
Admin
26 March 2020 12:26 pm
Reply to  Bhavisha

If your dad is in a vulnerable group and have received a letter advising him to shield for 12 weeks, this can be shown to employers. There is more information on groups included here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19

Claire Tidball
Claire Tidball
26 March 2020 9:15 am

I am 37 years old, diabetic with coeliac disease. I am classed as a key worker so I’m meant to keep working. I am following government guidance about social distancing and told my employer that I didn’t believe i should be working as coming into contact with several people. They are demanding a sick note. Drs not giving and 111 sick note for if you have symptoms which i do not.

communications manager
Admin
26 March 2020 12:25 pm
Reply to  Claire Tidball

Hi Claire, If you are in a vulnerable group and have received a letter advising you to shield for 12 weeks, this can be shown to employers. There is more information on groups included here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19

Michael
Michael
28 March 2020 9:20 am

I have severe asthma and use two of the inhaler listed on the gov website but I didn’t receive a 12 week letter and I’m a key worker so have to work or won’t get paid what can I do? I feel very unsafe at work as 300+ people are there at any time so it’s hard to avoid people

Francisca Ige
Francisca Ige
27 March 2020 8:19 am

Hi, I am yet to receive my nhs 12 weeks shielding letter as am type 2 diabetic. What should I do please? Thank you

zoey handy
zoey handy
27 March 2020 9:59 am

ive been tokd i need to self isalte for 12 week but i need to fill a form out how do i do it on here

Jean Sweeney
Jean Sweeney
27 March 2020 6:05 pm

I have been advised to isolate by the government for 12 weeks as I have copd. I have not received a letter telling me to do this and I cannot get a sick line online because it is asking you if you have symptoms. Can you please tell me what I am meant to give to my employer?

Joe b
Joe b
28 March 2020 12:19 pm

Hi I’m a retail worker who is on immunosuppressants and I have asthma.i got a text through from dermatology saying follow this flow chart to see if you are high risk or low risk. I haven’t got a letter through but the flow chart says I’m high risk. How do I obtain a letter to sick note so i can give it to my employer as I am having to isolate for 12 weeks

christine morrell
christine morrell
28 March 2020 1:35 pm

Hi, hubby is 73 and working. He received shielding letter.Does this make him eligible for sick pay for the 12 weeks please. His work have said not as they say “Presently, the only people entitled to SSP (Day 1 rights for up to 2 weeks) are those who MUST self-isolate because they have the symptoms of Covid-19 or a member of the household does. Those that have been told to stay at home for the 12 weeks still fall under the social distancing guidance which does not qualify for either the Day 1 SSP or normal SSP (as they are… Read more »

Vicky
Vicky
28 March 2020 1:49 pm

Im diabetic but haven’t received a letter to isolate so I’m still at work and getting worried as I’m I the supermarket environment

Sharron
Sharron
29 March 2020 5:53 am

My partner has just had pnumonia for which has taken ages to clear and he was in Middle of being tested for copd He’s not diagnosed due to his appointments getting postponed where does he class as he hasn’t had a 12 week letter because he didn’t get his test so may be high risk there’s no information work says doctors need to tell him and doctors say work need to assess he’s being passed from pillar to post he’s scared as he can’t just self isolate for 12 week as will get sack but if he’s at risk this… Read more »

Pauline Robinson
Pauline Robinson
30 March 2020 10:06 am

Hi. I’m a registered manager and senior nurse.
I have been directed to shield for a minimum of 12 weeks
What documents, sick note or isolation certificate etc do I need to send to my employer to continue to receive my monthly salary?
Many thanks
Pauline

Kim
Kim
31 March 2020 10:51 pm

I’m diabetic so at risk I live with my father who is at risk I’m a nurse in a care home which has coronavirus in it. I need to isolate for 12 weeks for both our protection. Neither of us has a letter. How do I get a sick note for 12 weeks as work will pay me nothing

Lynn crossan
Lynn crossan
31 March 2020 11:39 pm

Hi I am really confused, I work 2 hours as a school cleaner and I don’t know if I am meant to go to work or not my husband does not have a spleen so is high risk and my mother who is 80 with a heart condition lives with us. I suffer from Fibromyalgia and am not coping very well with the stress of not knowing if I’m doing right or wrong.

Kevin
Kevin
1 April 2020 1:55 pm

Hi I am in the vulnerable group (heart attack and diabetes) but have not received a letter saying I am extremely vulnerable. The guidance says I should stay at home and practice social distancing but now my employer is asking for a sick note which I cannot get as I am not sick only following the guidance. What do I do – I am a postman so cannot practice social distancing when at work.

Martin
Martin
1 April 2020 3:27 pm

Hello, after speaking to my gp today he’s told me I need to self isolate for 12 weeks,due to my asthma ( bad at the min put on new inhaler ),Plus I have copd ,I did not get a tx or letter from nhs,but now my doctor has told me to stay off ( and because of my job puts me in high risk ) he said to go onto 111 covid extremely vulnerable to download a form ( not the 7 day form ) he said here I can download and print off a form for my 12 weeks… Read more »

Jodie Seery
Jodie Seery
2 April 2020 10:18 am

I looking for some advice my work place are asking for a sick note because i am in the 12 week high risk, however i cant do this on the 111 as this is only for 7 days and i don’t have any symptoms. i have called the doctors as 111 advised me this would be possible however my doctors have said they wont do one as they not been advised to give any out and that the text/letter i received should be enough? i have not received a letter but have a text, how can i go about getting… Read more »

sharon dodds
sharon dodds
2 April 2020 1:48 pm

I’m a community carer looking after mainly elderly. I’ve had 2 heart attacks in last 10years and the most resent one was last sept which left me with blocked artery and unstable angina. Would it be best for me to stay at home instead of working.