Order repeat prescriptions in your usual quantities at the usual time. Over ordering of your medicines may mean someone else has to go without their medicines.
- Order your usual prescription online or by an app. Do not go to your GP practice or pharmacy to order prescriptions and only phone them if you cannot order online or by an app. You can order repeat prescriptions on the NHS App and through your GP surgery or pharmacy’s online service, where available.
- If you have a prescription to collect:
- if you are 70 or over and/or have a long-term health condition or are pregnant you should arrange collection by a relative, friend or volunteer, or ask your pharmacy about delivery
- for everyone else, if you are going into a pharmacy in person, follow social distancing rules and the rules put in place by the pharmacy to protect you and their staff.
- Pharmacies will be operating social distancing measures to protect everyone and may have altered opening times to manage their workload.
- Ask any relatives and friends who are delivering your medicines to make sure they have seen you pick up the bag.
- If your medicines are being delivered, make sure you keep a safe distance when you receive them.
However, due to the increased demand of ordering prescriptions online there might be a very short delay in your prescription being ready. Please make sure that you order your repeat prescription in plenty of time.
You may also find that the packaging of your medication is different than you are used to. This is because pharmacies may use different brands of medicines when preparing your prescription in order to speed up the process. This will still be the correct medication but might just look different. You should always check your medication when you receive it.
You can also ask someone you know to collect the prescription for you; just make sure they use appropriate social distancing measures by having them leave the medication on your doorstep or somewhere appropriate for you to pick it up safely.
Some pharmacies do offer delivery options. If you use this option the delivery driver will leave the package on your doorstep. We would advise patients to contact the pharmacy or delivery driver prior to delivery, to raise awareness of any mobility issues so the appropriate level of help can be offered.