The main symptoms of coronavirus are:
- a high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
- a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
- a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you’ve noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal
Most people with coronavirus have at least one of these symptoms. With children back at school and mixing more with others, it’s likely they’ll start to pick up coughs and colds. You may wonder whether they have coronavirus symptoms, or just a common cold – have a look at our back to school page for more help and advice.
What to do if you have symptoms
If you have any of the main symptoms of coronavirus:
- Get a test to check if you have coronavirus as soon as possible.
- Stay at home and do not have visitors until you get your test result – only leave your home to have a test.
Anyone you live with, and anyone in your support bubble, must also stay at home until you get your result.
What is self-isolation?
Self-isolation is when you stay at home because you have or might have coronavirus (COVID-19).
This helps stop the virus spreading to other people.
When to self-isolate
- you have any symptoms of coronavirus (a high temperature, a new, continuous cough or a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste)
- you’ve tested positive for coronavirus – this means you have coronavirus
- you live with someone who has symptoms or has tested positive
- someone in your support bubble has symptoms or has tested positive
- you’re told by NHS Test and Trace that you’ve been in contact with a person with coronavirus
Get a test if you have symptoms
How long to self-isolate
- someone you live with has symptoms or tested positive
- someone in your support bubble has symptoms or tested positive
- you’ve been told by NHS Test and Trace that you’ve been in contact with someone who has coronavirus
Read more about how long to self-isolate.
Find out more on the NHS website, including how to get an isolation note.
Find out how you can get tested the NHS website: www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/testing-and-tracing/ask-for-a-test-to-check-if-you-have-coronavirus/